Tuesday, December 28, 2010

doing or being?

John made me stop today and lay with him on the couch.  It was nice.  Sometimes I get so busy doing things I forget to be with him.  I think since we're in the house together and I'm putzing around, I'm with him.  But he doesn't think so.  Since he can't read or write anymore, and tv is hard to follow, he's terribly bored.  So much so, he's called several of his friends to talk on the phone as best he can.  He enjoys it when his niece calls especially.  And speaking of the kids...............

Tim, Jennifer, and the kids sent us a 'junk and love box' for Christmas.  It arrived today and John absolutely wore himself out having fun with the contents.  They sent us toilet paper, shampoo, lotion, razors, shave cream, napkins, books from Idaho, maps, coffee filters, hot chocolate, a blanket, moose poop; all kinds of things.  For years, John has sent them a junk box for Christmas filled with items he finds during the summer cleaning rush, along with new things.  They also included a sweet letter about them being sad this is his last Christmas, and they wanted to send a box to him.  The kids also put in their Christmas stockings filled with stuff they chose; mugs from their town, post cards, hand drawn pictures/notes, and I got a picture ornament from a kids' meal.  
John said it was perfect; the bestest Christmas they could ever give him.  He called Tim and later Georgia called John.  He is slap wore out.  We took pictures of him/us with the loot, and also of him in front of the stockings hanging on our mantle.  
He now has a headache.  Back to reality unfortunately.  But it was an excellent break from it.
 
John's parents are coming Sunday for a week.  I'm so glad because I'll be able to work another week without taking days.  I'm not afraid to leave him by himself yet.  Mornings are a challenge though because he's slow waking up and getting going, but once he does, he's good.  Bored but good.  And he's taken rests when he feels tired, which he used to fight.  He can't wash dishes anymore.  His right hand is not trusty.  I've enjoyed our carefree days this holiday.  If we had someone to be here when he gets up in the mornings after I go to work, it would be perfect.  I'm going to try to line up some of his friends to come during the day, the week after his parents leave, just to visit and chat and maybe bring lunch. 
Taking it one week at a time, one day at a time.  Trying for more being and less doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment