Saturday, April 9, 2011

angel bear

Sarah has a mom in her class who embroiders everything and anything really well.  I thought about asking her to put John's Angel logo on the bear's shirt, if I could find a blue or black button-down. 

When I walked into the Build-a-Bear store this morning, that mom was there shopping with her daughter.  What an excellent omen that I would find the right bear.  Or at least I took it as a sign it would all work out.

I asked her if she'd embroider something for me on a bear shirt and she said yes.

They didn't have a solid button-down, but the lady helping me had an idea.  She came back with a "cub scout" shirt; blue, button-down, with several patches.  I showed it to the mom and asked her if we could take them off and add the logo.  Again she said yes.

I got a tan bear, white tennis shoes, white low top socks, tan shorts, blue shirt, and the kicker: a safari hat!  [John wore a safari hat the last several years. I think we got it at Walmart.]

When they stuff the bear, you have to step on the pedal that powers the blower that shoots the stuffing into its body.  You also get to pick a plain, satin heart printed with "I love you" or a heart you press that says different things.  I took my Sharpie with me so I could write "Laura & John" on the satin heart, then I put it in.  I watched another bear builder help a couple of kids with theirs, and they made a wish and a promise before they put their hearts in.  This is a ritual you are to do during the process of stuffing.  My helper asked me if I made a wish.  I told her "he knows."  And when she pulled the stitches to close the back of the bear, I fell apart.  She looked at me sympathetically, so I told her my husband had died, and this was his work uniform.  And that I hoped to make it through without crying.  She gave me a hug. 

I registered the bear on their computer.  Named it John Dennis, and gave it the birthdate of April 4, 2011.  Our anniversary date.  When I told Sharon I picked our anniversary date for his b'day, she asked, "Which one?"  We do have lots of special dates to celebrate.

I managed to get out of the store in one piece.  Mush, but one piece.  He's now dressed, except for his shirt. 
very cute


No comments:

Post a Comment