Thursday, December 30, 2010

thriving thursday

tears, tears, and more tears
Selling the business finally hit John last night and he cried for a long time after we went to bed.  Once he finished, we both slept well.  He got up before me this morning [duh] and made coffee.  I could hear him sniffling.  He told me he had already had cereal, so I made myself a couple of fried eggs and sat at the table with him.  It was obvious he had been crying for a while. 
He admitted selling the business was getting him down, along with other regrets; not saving more money, not doing more to tell people about Jesus; etc.  It took another hour or so of talking and crying before he could stop.  But when the tears ended, John was himself.  He worked through it remarkably well.  I told him again how proud I am that he started a business and had it 20 years and worked it until he absolutely couldn't. 
We went outside to look at his equipment and what we were keeping and what was to be sold.  It probably helped to see everything, touch it, tell what pieces go with what.  I was surprised at how much I actually knew about the equipment.

Fun, fun, fun!  The Hospice music therapist came today.  She plays guitar and sings.  She played "Country Roads" by John Denver.  John recognized it.  She also did "One Day At A Time" which should be my theme song, except it's been so overdone I almost can't enjoy it.  I'm jealous because she has the "AFI Top 100 Songs" and it was amazing!  [I choked up when I saw "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge.]  Anyway....we ended up with me at piano and she on guitar, mostly instruments only.  Occasionally I'd sing.  Piano/guitar is an excellent blend.  John loved it.  She sightread over my shoulder from my repertoire of choruses.  At the end we did a horrible rendition of "Singing In the Rain."  When we finished, she asked him if he recognized it and he said, "No."  We busted out laughing because it's his favorite show tune from childhood.  "That bad, huh?" I asked. 
She'll come again in 2 weeks.

Then came the time to sell the business.  The buyer had everything in order; 3 copies of all the documents.  John had to sign his name a bunch of times, and he did pretty well.  Grabbed one of the neighbors to witness the signatures.  We had a long visit with the family who bought the business once the papers were signed.  Their daughter, and the mom, loved all my nesting dolls, so I gave them one I brought from Kyiv. 
Lots of people have asked me how I'm doing.  I say OK because I'm so busy in the middle of it all.  I'll fall apart later, I'm sure.  Don't have time now.

Emailed Pastor Bob's secretary and he wants to come over next week.  I asked if he'd do the memorial service and could we have it at Wildwood.  The secretary sent info on what the bereavement committee helps with, facilities, and program printing.  That's what I love about that church.  It's organized but with heart. 

Made an appointment for someone to look under the house and make sure we're not slipping away.  funkiness goin' on

It's been a stress-relieving day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment