Monday, January 17, 2011

the games of life

What do you get when you cross charades with pictionary, mapquest, what's my line, and the internet???  Two hours with John, trying to figure out the name of a store.  The clues were:  internet; national store but only one site locally; we've been there a thousand times: he'd go to one side and I'd go to my pictures;  near Governor's Square; had other small stores next to it.  I finally called Sharon and gave her the clues.  At one point, John kept saying Tennessee Street, but Sharon and I figured that was probably not right.  I was pulling up store logos online to eliminate things on the parkway or either mall.  We eliminated all food-related places, Barnes & Noble, K-Mart, the party store, Tallahassee Mall.  Sharon called back about half an hour later with Best Buy.  BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!  ding, ding, ding.  We have a winner!!!  John recognized the name when I said it.  Sharon was cracking up on the other end...."Thank you very much!" he said.  I pulled up their website and he confirmed BEST BUY was the store.  And all the clues fit perfectly.  Of course......
He wants me to get a new computer and wanted us to look at them online.  He wanted to enjoy me looking for one.  At Best Buy, he would always look at cameras and computers and I would go find a dvd to buy [why he said I went to my pictures].

The beginning of our day hadn't started quite so well.  John's incision had bled in the night; that one darn spot that bled a couple of days ago.  He wanted me to call the Hospice nurse, so I knew he was concerned.  I left a msg for her, then canceled my dentist appt for today, and called Mama to not come sit with John for my appt.   We changed his bandage after b'fast and it hadn't bled anymore and didn't even when I took the bandage off.  The nurse told he to use 2 bandages or a bandage with gauze on the outside, along with the headband he uses to hold it all on. 

While I talked to the nurse, he called his friend, Dave, in Atlanta.  He is a fellow carpet cleaner and longtime friend.  Dave and his wife are coming here in early March [John said if he's already gone, to come see me], and to Glacier this summer!  Yet another couple I've influenced into going there.  Maybe I can be there when they are.   Talking with Dave energized John.  He had a great morning once he ate and took his regular meds.  We didn't get up until around 9, which is too late for him.  Didn't realize the time; didn't wake up early enough.

Sharon and Marshall came by for a quick visit.  Made the boy chocolate chip cookies and then they were off to baseball tryouts.  He made a Babe Ruth team!!  Don't know which one yet.  Would be funny if it were the Yankees.  Not sure if BR uses major league team names or not. 

After supper, John laid down, slept a bit, then woke up restless.  He tried to tell me something he said he's told me twice before.  Couldn't figure out if it was about the PO Box, medicine, insurance, or Hospice.  He assured me it wasn't me, it's his lack of communication that frustrates him.  He got up and walked around the house some then went to sleep.  Before we ate, he prayed.  He thanked God for all he's done for us, thanked him that we can know him, and asked God to look out for me.  We both lost it.   John is incredibly thoughtful and sweet. 

Found the song to put to my video of pictures of us:  "Mrs. Darcy" from 'Pride and Prejudice".  This summer, John watched the movie with me, [or I should say suffered thru it with me...not a guy flick],  and I wasn't really sure how much he followed it.  At the end when Mr. Darcy asks what he should call Lizzie and she says Mrs. Darcy only when he's deliriously happy,  John kissed me and said, "Mrs. Cogdill.  Mrs. Cogdill."  He totally 'got' that part!  The song doesn't really fit a guy video, but it's perfect to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment