Thursday, February 10, 2011

two week notice

John slept until 4:30 this morning!  He slept most of the day.
A lady from the Dept. of Revenue came to audit and certify the sale of his business, another Hospice nurse made a follow-up visit, Havana pastor, Sarah from school, and Mama and
Daddy all came by today.  Plus, the hospital bed was delivered.  I put it next to our bed.  Now I can be in the same room with John during the night.  He's taken only one muscle relaxer today.

His eyes aren't focusing on much and he's urinated once.  He's tried 3 times unsuccessfully.
victory on the 4th try

The Pastor had another good suggestion.  If I start John in the bed with the rails up, he won't wonder later why I start putting them up.  If that's the way at the beginning, there won't be a change later.  John only complained about the rails once during the tries to urinate.  He would sit on the pot for 5 minutes, get back in bed for 2 minutes, get up again to try.  After the second time of trying to get up with the rail in the way, he shook it and asked why.  I didn't answer him, just put it down and helped him up. 

For me, there will be two dreaded markers.  The first is when he can't say "I love you" anymore.  In the past week, he has said it correctly about 60% of the time.  When he messes up, it's "Good morning" or "Thank you".  Most of the time he knows he's said it wrong, and will grin or roll his eyes.  I'll say, "Yeah, that, too."

The other marker is when he won't remember my name.  He's called me Mom several times, but it's usually when he's tired.  One time I was trying to help him do something and he said, "Mom, Mom, Mom."  I replied, "Laura."  He said, "I meant please, please, please."

good answer

No comments:

Post a Comment