Friday, February 4, 2011

walker, shuffle, march

Yesterday.  Better day.  John got around by himself quite well and stayed awake most of the day.  The nurse dropped off a shower head and we gave it a try.  John likes it.  We didn't hose down the bathroom too badly.  I've noticed a weird action.  When I bathe John on the left side, his right hand mimics my actions, not quite touching my hand.  It's as tho his brain knows what that hand should be doing and does it on auto-pilot.  Haven't mentioned it to him.  He doesn't realize he's doing it.  Same thing when I dry him off.  And when his right hand holds something, he doesn't let go.  He thinks he does but usually I have to pry the towel, my hand, hat from him.

the chinese shuffle
That's what I call the way John walks when he's tired.  Short, quick steps.  His right foot can't go far, so the left one doesn't go far.  I remind him to slow down.  He'll stop, think about what he's doing, and go back to "normal."  He also marched with his right leg several times and the exaggeration of the movement kept him from dragging it.  But again, he doesn't remember to do it often.

Rough night
John woke up around 12:30 with an awful headache.  He took 2 p.m.'s, which is odd because he usually fights taking something.  He moaned for about 20 minutes until the pills kicked in.  He slept but restlessly.  Jumped, pushed, talked in his sleep. 
This morning we had b'fast and I headed to the bath.  I told him "do not get off the couch while I'm in there."  Before I got out, I could hear him snoring.  Slept about an hour and a half.  Didn't remember falling asleep.  He asked how long he slept, what time was it, but couldn't understand.  I ended up telling him Andy Griffith was over, Family Feud was over, and now it's Let's Make a Deal.  got that

He likes using the bathroom at the other end of the house, of course.  This means we go thru the living room, piano room, kitchen, dining room.  The sink is in front of the toilet and he can pull himself up with it.  He actually used the walker with me beside him after he woke up and ate again.  He kept straddling the right leg of the walker because he tends to lean that way.  We made it to the dining room and he started leaning over.  almost timber
He sat in a chair for a minute then finished the 4 steps to the bathroom.  Took the walker back to the couch.  much smoother

Now he's asleep in bed.  I watched the redwing black birds run the other birds from the feeders.  It's been an active bird morning.

John's mom called yesterday and the doctors have given his dad 4 months.  I don't think he'll make it that long.  He's going every day this week for the shot that boosts his blood.  No transfusions since the hospital.  He's very weak and sleeps most of the time.  John's brother, Tim, is planning to come to Daytona in about a month for 4 days.  Might make it up here but probably not.  This is all if his boss lets him.

race to the end for those two
**********************************
Two of three meals in bed today.  Several hours sleeping.  Sat on the couch twice.  Wore him out.  Used the walker all day and is getting better at it.  Need to pull out the Hospice book.  We may be on the grid now.    ugh

Remembering Vickie.  4 years gone
*********************************************
Will this post ever end???
This afternoon, Betsy from school came by with a basket of sunshine filled with chocolates and a mini rose bush.  There were several cards from friends at school.  As we talked, the subject of John falling came up.  I told her about the big crash/bang, and she said if he ever went down and I couldn't get him up to call her and she and her husband would come. [they live nearby]
10:15 p.m.'ish:  John needs to use the bathroom and chooses the closest one.  He also chose to use the walker to get there, but when he lets go of it to get to the toilet, he gets extremely wobbly.  Tonight, he just slid right down the wall onto the toilet [pants on].  When he tried to get up, he went down to the floor instead.  We tried everything to get him up.  He started scooting and rolling himself back to the bedroom and I thought, 'well this is getting him to the room but then what??'.  I couldn't get him to rest and try later so I called Betsy.  She was "disoriented" as she put it later, but true to promise, she and her husband came on over.  By then it was 10:30.  Bob lifted John right up and got him in bed.  Besides it being late, it was raining again.  They were gracious and said call if I needed help again.  I am so very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment